Youth Ministries at Westwood are all about bringing youth to a place of encountering the reality and awesomeness of God and committing themselves to a personal relationship with Jesus. It is a place for youth to shed their old lives and to press on toward perfection in Christ in a solid community that is built upon scripture. It’s about youth, but it’s more than that, it’s about youth catching the grander vision of the gospel and being challenged to live lives that shake the world.
Youth Group Teaching Series
Character of a Kingdom Warrior – September 13/14-November 29/30
Discussion Questions & Scripture Reference
|Humility||Sep 13, 14||1. How does pride get in the way of our relationship with God?
2. What do you feel it means to be humble?
3. What area(s) of your life are the hardest to submit to God?
4. What steps could you take to submit more to God in your life?
Scripture Reference: James 4:7-10, Job 41
|Hunger||Sep 20, 21||1. How strong is your desire to know God more?
2. What is getting in the way of pursuing a deeper relationship with Jesus?
3. What steps could you take to start pursuing a deeper relationship with God?
Scripture Reference: Jeremiah 29:12-14; Philippians 3:7-11
|Repentant||Sep 27, 28||1. Describe in your own words what repentance means.
2. How does repentance affect our relationship with God?
3. How can choosing to repent transform our lives?
4. What things might we need to repent from?
Scripture Reference: Romans 6, Acts 3:19
|Righteous||Oct 4, 5|| 1. What does it mean to be righteous?
2. What does our sin and rebellion lead to? Feel free to give specific examples.
3. What does a life set apart for God lead to?
4. How does living a life set apart for God make a difference in your life and the lives of those you share life with?
5. What areas of your life have you been settling for less than God’s best?
Scripture Reference: Romans 6:15-23
|Loving||Oct 11, 12||1. How would you define love?
2. How did Jesus demonstrate love for us? What does this mean for those who choose to follow him?
3. Why is love to be the motivation for things we do?
4. How can our actions demonstrate love to people?
5. How might an unloving attitude towards a person be an indicator of an unhealthy relationship with God?
Scripture Reference: 1 Corinthians 13; 1 John 3:16-18, 4:7-21; Luke 10:25-37
|Courageous||Oct 18, 19||1. What do you think courage is?
2. What things in your life are you afraid to do or face? Do you believe God can help you overcome your fear?
3. What source of power do followers of Jesus have that helps us to boldly move past our fear?
4. Are you willing to trust in God more than you trust in your fear? Are you willing to take risks for Jesus?
Scripture Reference: Joshua 1 & 6; 2 Timothy 1:7
| Invested in
|Oct 25, 26||1. What advantages are there to being in a community of Jesus followers?
2. What are some ways you could encourage other this week?
3. What advantages are there to doing things in teams?
4. Why would living out God’s mission be more effective in a team than by yourself?
Scripture Reference: Hebrews 10:24-25, Acts 2:42-44, 1 Corinthians 12
|Silence||Nov 1, 2||1. Why is it so hard to be still and silent?
2. Do you believe God cares about you?
3. If God does care and wants us to just “be” (rest) with him why is it still so difficult?
4. Why do we resist?
|Nov 8, 9||1. Who is the Holy Spirit?
2. How does the Holy Spirit help us to have a deeper relationship with God?
3. Do you have any questions about any of the gifts that were talked about?
4. What kinds of gifts or abilities has God given you?
5. What things do you feel God might be calling you to do in this season of your life?
Scripture Reference: 1 Corinthians 12
|Gospel||Nov 15, 16||1. What was something that stood out to you in the teaching time?
2. Do you feel the gospel presents a view of the world that helps you make sense of why things are the way they are?
3. How does the creation part of the gospel give you value as a person? How do the redemption and restoration parts further affirm your value?
4. How might the aspects of redemption and restoration give you hope?
5. What significance does the gospel have on me as a person in 2017?
Scripture Reference: We are looking at the over-arching narrative of the Bible
|Testimony||Nov 22, 23||Testimony Worksheet
Scripture Reference: Revelation 12:10-11
|Word of God||Nov 29, 30||1. What stood out to you from the teaching?
2. Who are you called to be with (where are your people)?
3. Who do you need to “not stop praying for”?
4. Do you need people to intercede for you, and for what?
5. What does it look like to give God the glory?
Scripture Reference: 1 Samuel 7:3-13